Sunday, February 26, 2012

Om mani padme hum










I bought 10 of this ring from Bakuojie market, Lhasa when I visited Tibet the third time in 1997. I gave them as a gift to my friends.

Tibetan Buddhists believe that saying the mantra (prayer), Om Mani Padme Hum, out loud or silently to oneself, invokes the powerful benevolent attention and blessings of CHenrezig, the embodiment of compassion.
Viewing the written form of the mantra is said to have the same effect -- it is often carved into stones, rings as in the above picture and other art crafts. 

The six syllables of the mantra, as it is often pronounced by Tibetans -- Om Mani Padme Hum -- are here written in the Tibetan alphabet:






Reading from left to right the syllables are:

Om (ohm) Ma (mah) Ni (nee) Pad (pahd) Me (may) Hum (hum)

I learnt this from my friend Lama Wangchun, he was from Nepal. I met him in Oahu island. His dream was to build a Tibetian temple in Hawaii.

Isn't this interesting?





























No comments:

Post a Comment