Friday, April 17, 2009

Mi cubita bella















Last month, to celebrate my birthday and to mourn my past year, I had a trip to Cuba with my son.

Cuba is a mysterious land of revolution, haunting music, delicious rums, palm trees and bedeviling charms.


We stayed in Varadero, a city two hours driving from Havana. It is a 20 kilometer peninsula with unspoiled white sand beach, surrounded by astonishing turquoise Atlantic ocean. Its location on a narrow peninsula ensures that it is constantly cooled by tropical breezes. It is called the greatest beach in the world by Cubans.


















The above photos are local transportation tools: Coconut Taxis and motorbikes. I took tour bus or local bus when I was there. Most of them are nice and clean, with air condition.












What I love most is Cuban music. The motivation for me to learn Spanish is to understand its songs. I have a collection from Buena Vista Social Club to "Nuevo Latino". Cuban music is strongely influenced by Africa and Spain music, and it is also shaped by Latin America and American pop music and Jazz. Conga drums are very important part of Cuban music. They are played by hands and palms and fingers. Different tones can also produced by raising the drum from the ground.








Once I was in an open air market when a melody struck my heart. It was so passionate that it danced my soul through ice and fire. The fragrance of the music took my breath away.

In my next life, I would like to be a Latino.



















No comments:

Post a Comment