Thursday, June 4, 2009

Memories of Oaxaca



















Oaxaca is a city for you to travel alone.


Said Norma. So, I was on my way.

There was a empty seat at the first row of the bus, right behind the driver. I asked the lady there if I could sit, she gave me a nice smile. I introduced myself, and we started to chat. It turned out that she was the coordinator of all museums in Oaxaca, she just went to Mexico City for a conference and she was supposed to work at Centro Cultural Santo Domingo that afternoon!







She told me how she raised her three girls alone. She told me her career ambition and difficulties such as politics in the office. She told me about her lovers ... she told me a lot about her life. During the four hours trip, we talked and talked. When we arrived in Oaxaca finally, I thought I knew her more than her daughters! And my Spanish jumped into another level!

Her daughters and one daughter's boy friend came to pick her up. They drove me to a hotel very close to zócalo (main square). We exchanged our email address and we kissed goodbye. - I told her that I might visit her in the museum the next day, but I never went.
























The charming colonial town of Oaxaca offers rich culture, uplifting architecture and a spring-like climate.






The region around Oaxaca is home to several thousand archaeological sites, with more being discovered all the time.
I went to see the remains of Zapotec and Mixotec civilization at Monte Albán and Mitla.


I also visited a famous rug weaving village inTeotitlan del Valle. This family makes rugs with all natural dyes. At their work studio we had an opportunity to see the weavers at work and to see dying process techniques and how the variation in color is achieved using plants and insects. The designs are unusual and based on Zapotec ancient designs.










What an unforgetable experience for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment